Oops. Forgot to link to the Petapixel article (for those that haven't seen it):
http://petapixel.com/2014/07/30/sony-a7s-astrophotography-review/

Sony manufactures the 12.2MP full frame chip. Frankly I think they HAD
to develop a camera for it because third parties aren't buying it and
their marketing departments want more MP from a full frame sensor.
Sony was forced to "eat their own dogfood" but that doesn't mean it
won't be a cracking good camera - if a bit pricey for my tastes.