You may think me crazy, but I think a superb camera for a 13 year old
would be one of the original Pentax Q or Q10s.
Their image quality will surprise you, they are now FAR less expensive
NEW than even a used a APS-C DSLR, they have interchangable lenses and
they are a BLAST to use.

You can get a Q10 in the snazzy RED with the zoom lens for a whole
$187 shipped from newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P01PF0326&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-_-pla-_-Camcorders-_-9SIA4P01PF0326&ef_id=UxVHtgAAAAWNyMFM:20140801184420:s

If I were 13 years old today, I'd be THRILLED with such an excellent
and versatile gift. (They can get add'l lenses for future gifts, for
example).

--
Photographers must learn not to be ashamed to have their photographs
look like photographs.