I've actually tested this out. DOF is a function of the absolute magnification of the image on the sensor. So a 3-4mm long subject fills the frame on a Q at 1:1. You'd need 5.6x lifesized to get that on a full frame sensor. I do work at 5-10 lifesized with snowflakes and the DOF is much shallower than at 1:1. So taking a very small subject with a Q or other small sensor camera can make a lot of sense under some circumstances. In the field a Q with 100mm macro at 1:1 magnification would be much easier to work with than any lens on a FF camera set up to get a 5.6:1 image (which would be pretty impractical.) But a 5.6:1 setup is pretty easy to do in studio or semi-studio settings.

I tried using the Q for snow crystals but had problems with flare on the reverse mounted lens. I need to try again with a better optic.

Mark