At 10:01 AM -0500 9/13/14, Darren Addy wrote:
When I got to my dark site I could see a bit of a pink aurora glow on
the horizon, but nothing photogenic. This was about 9:30 pm local
time. It appears that the storm ended (as far as chances for me in
Nebraska) shortly after that.  I was thinking that this was only the
first incoming CME and so I stayed in the hopes that the 2nd CME might
arrive earlier than expected, but now I read that the storm last night
was from the 2ND CME. The Bz component stayed north for most of the
evening (which supresses auroral activity) and it swung south
apparently only briefly. That's a killer for me. The only time I've
ever seen them this far south was with the aid of a southerly Bz
component.

I'm quite sure, by the timing of Steve Sharpe's report and his far
more northerly (and more easterly) location that he probably got some
Good Ones. It would have gotten dark earlier for Steve's spot on the
earth, as well. Please do share them, Steve!

I'm just a hair south of 45 degrees latitude, so I doubt if I'm much north of you, Darren. What time zone are you in? Central? Out here the show was pretty much over by 10pm ADT (8pm CDT). I was not sure if that was because the display was dying down, or if the moon was just wiping everything out. Now I know it was the former.

I have quite a backlog of photos to process so it will probably be a week or two before I get anything posted.

--

The Office Gallery - Scenic and Landscape Photography by Steve Sharpe

24 Maple Avenue
Ellershouse NS
B0N 1L0

d...@eastlink.ca