The surgery took five hours, longer than expected. The doc found a number of
affected lymph nodes, including one close to the aorta, so a lot of precise
work was required. He also found a second tumor in the small intestine. The
primary tumor in the colon was very large. When I spoke to hem after the
surgery he wasn’t optimistic but didn’t say it was hopeless. I asked if there
was a chance for full recovery and he said there’s always a chance. Not exactly
encouraging but enough to give me hope. Worse than I expected but not as bad as
it might have been if there was liver involvement.

I will remain optimistic, although I’m not as hopeful as I was yesterday
morning. Will get more information and a more clear prognosis as the medics
complete the pathology of the tissue that was removed. In any case, chemo will
start as soon as Marlene has her strength back. The doc said radiation therapy
is a possibility as well.