I quote from the article:

I am leaving professional photography for an academic position less prone to the frustrations of a floundering copyright system.

But that's not right, exactly, the copyright system isn't floundering, it works quite well for those it's designed to protect. Disney studios and their like benefit greatly, and somewhat smaller players with somewhat looser ethics, benefit as well. If they can afford a legal staff, to fight for your rights, they're in good shape. While at the same time if the big players, accidentally, or maybe not so accidentally, violate someone else' copyright, and it's a small player, it's unlikely they'll even be able to effectively challenge the violation. The copyright system works just fine.

Then again maybe I'm just cynical.