On Mon, Dec 01, 2014 at 01:02:14AM -0800, Joseph McAllister wrote:
> If I could get a sunny day I would shoot a few of the Anna's pair that stay
> over. It's been below freezing going on three days, so I have to bring the
> feeders in at night, rehang them in the morning. I'll put out a couple of
> others so I can have one out, two thawing on rotation.

Fortunately that's not a problem we have here in the SF Bay Area.  I think in
the almost 20 years I've been here I've seen frost on the ground four or five
times.

We have quite a few Anna's hanging around our feeders.  One feeder is right
outside my office window, so the hummers are used to seeing me through the
glass, and carry on feeding unconcerned even if I'm standing right by the
window (putting me maybe two feet away from the feeder).  They're not quite so
relaxed if I go outside onto the deck, although there are one or two who will
sometimes come and hang out about four feet away when I'm outside changing the
feeder.  I've spotted them peering in through other windows, too.

The winter population is not as high as we see during the summer (when I've
seen as many as 12 hummers feeding at the same time), but I still see maybe
four sharing one feeder, and maybe another one or two on the second, for the
last feed of the day around sunset.  I believe we have at least two pairs
nesting in our orange tree.