On 21/3/15, Daniel J. Matyola, discombobulated, unleashed:

>On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 6:59 PM, Steve Cottrell <co...@seeingeye.tv> wrote:
>>>given England's grey image.
>>
>> I find this very odd! How did you come to believe this?
>
>I didn't say I believe it, but that is the image many have of England.

Okay, it's obviously a perception you and/or others have. I'm genuinely
just curious as to where/how you (possibly) acquired it?

The only thing I can think of is the infamous pea-souper fogs that used
to happen in London pre-WW2 ?

Or is it the idea that it is always raining here therefore grey skies?

Out of interest spent a few minutes looking to see where the UK is in
the globla scale of rainfall and according to this web site we rank 48th
out of 95 in annual rainfall totals (the USA being 25th) although
regional variation isn't obviously taken into account. There are places
in the UK where it does rain a LOT - eg in the mountains of north Wales
and Scotland.

<http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Geography/Precipitation>

And here is a map showing totals in translated colours:

<http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/AG.LND.PRCP.MM/countries/1W?display=map>

As a bit of background the UK is a small island nation and the weather
is predominantly dictated by the Atlantic ocean, with pressure systems
flowing from a generally westerly direction more or less along the north
Atlantic jet stream. This means we get a fair few low pressure systems
with associated warm and cold fronts, and their associated rain. They
usually skip through quite quickly and within a few hours. Because we
sit usually near the 'border' with cold Polar air to the north and
warmer air to the south, we often find big temperature variations within
the space of a few days. Hence the saying in Britain we don't have a
climate, we have weather.

But to be fair, cloud cover is not something I think about a lot as some
days are cloudy and some days are sunny. I find the variation is good
and unless we get stuck under a winter high pressure that drags in
freezing easterly winds from Siberia, it's all fine!

So, just curious as to where the idea that England is grey.

A nation full of clerical grey office workers? ;-)

--

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__    Broadcast, Corporate,