Thanks very much, Paul.  It does make sense, and is very helpful.

I'm starting to think that since I don't need to transfer files elsewhere
immediately, I really just need more real estate for viewing images - shooting
interiors is killing me, so many details! - that maybe all I need is the HDMI
connection... I'd rather have the camera controls & wireless too, but at least
this way I'd get live view & image review with histogram, etc...

All good food for thought, though. Thanks again!
-c