It's no longer just a leaked report or rumor. I got an email about this today, and you can find the official announcement on the Ricoh Imaging website:

http://us.ricoh-imaging.com/dslr/K-3_II

Pentax Forums has also written multiple articles about the new camera.

I've been interested in the sensor-shifting approach to resolution enhancement for quite awhile now. The way they've implemented it, the final image resolution stays at 24 megapixels, but the quality and accuracy of those 24 megapixels is noticeably enhanced. Sharpness is increased, color accuracy per-pixel is increased, and noise is noticeably reduced. The images are comparable in quality to other cameras that have a higher pixel count in their image sensors.

The new camera also has GPS and a compass built into the camera, with logging capability. Not only will the new camera do astrotracing with the internal GPS unit, but it might even help me avoid getting lost if I take it on a hike in the woods. ;)