Thanks John. I see the same double dash thing on a couple of lenses - my old Tokina 400 did that a lot actually, but would reset when the lens was remounted. In this case the aperture displays as it should - actually, all the settings display as they should - the camera still treats all lenses as if they were pre-A lenses.... At least it still works with stop down metering....

Mark

I may have experienced something similar with a single lens, although it
happened across ALL of my Pentax DSLRs when I mounted that particular lens.

When you mount a lens set to the 'A' position, does the aperture display
show "--" (a double dash) instead of the electronically set aperture?

The contacts on the mount (camera & lens both) are like little spring
loaded ball bearings & I suspect there's some kind of mechanical wear
keeping them from making proper contact.