We fairly regularly get higher tides than that, and historically it has been
several feet higher on a couple of occasions. As you can see from the right
hand side, there are steps, and the large railings are embedded in a raised
wall, which is defence-in-depth (so to speak) for the Royal Naval College. That
was built in 1690-something, so they've been expecting occasional high tides
for a long time.

It may be that we get them a little more often at the level shown in these
pictures. If so I'd speculate that it's a result of urbanisation and narrowing
of the river upstream in Central London, as well as more river walls. My house
is built on what used to be a Greenwich Marsh, so the water had more places to
flood than it does now.

In this Victorian map the Naval College is in the lower left - the pictures
were taken just by the leftmost crease. My house is on a street that didn't
exist then (built 1896), on the site in the top right corner roughly parallel
where the horizontal crease is. The riverside there would have been mainly
beach and mud at that time, and everything east was marshland which would have
flooded.

http://www.ideal-homes.org.uk/__data/assets/image/0017/301490/map-east-greenwich-01279-640.jpg

The telegraph cable works just north of the crease built and laid the first
transatlantic cable. It's only recently closed. It's the site of a former
whaling station and gets a mention in Moby Dick.

It used to look like this:
http://www.ideal-homes.org.uk/greenwich/assets/galleries/greenwich-peninsula/cottage-1840