Marlene is very private, do Im loathe to discuss her condition, but I find
myself mentioning her battle when I'm speaking on other topics, and that feels
heartless.  Perhaps  honesty is better.

A peaceful and painless conclusion is now the goal.. I've pretty much known
this was inevitable since Dr. Kim, the surgeon, met with me outside the OR, 13
months ago. After six hours in surgery he looked defeated. "I wish I had gotten
to this years ago," he said. "Is there hope? I asked. There is always hope," he
said, head hanging.

Today, Marlene's best friend drove up from Chicago. Marlene got out of bed for
several hours, and they laughed and even danced a little. (She was with Marlene
when we met at a bar in February 1971.) A rare good day, but rewarding for all.
But it remains that all we can realistically do now is wait and hug and whisper
words of love.

Did I tell you I deeply resent the ads from a cancer hospital that suggest
they're beating the disease? They're not. It's a blatant lie aimed at getting
more Medicare and insurance dollars. Fuck them.

Paul via phone