Geez, I never said that Maize, (because corn is ambiguous), wasn't a decent food, I like Maize, but it's pretty much the worst original choice for a grain crop, and would never have been domesticated if the natives of the Americas had a better choice.

It has a lot of advantages, /today/, after a couple of centuries of selective breeding, and decades of scientific selective breeding, but it's early disadvantages outweighed those advantages. Now It's actually easy to grow,(it wasn't always), and it can double as a vegetable. The kernels store a lot of energy either as starch or sugar. Yes, all that's true. But it also puts a lot of energy into a) (for humans at least), a large indigestible cob, and b) it is distinctly lacking in protein compared to wheat, rye, and a other old world grain crops.

That modern Maize is also used as a vegetable, (many of which are actually fruits, take the tomato for example), adds to it's versatility, but, it falls short of those in vitamins and minerals. I never said that corn was bad, just that given a choice the Indians would have chosen something else.

Frank is right Corn is primary used in cattle feed to fatten Beef for market quickly, unlike him I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

Any vet will tell you not to feed your pet a food with too much Maize product. Maize is a treat,

Any individual or civilization who is forced to rely almost entirely on Maize as a diet staple is at a disadvantage.