> meet-up with [...] Bob W. and Chris & Karin Mitchell [...] hip, fusion [...]
> fascinating/gruesome medical specimens [...]

we can see what you did there....

Thanks for an excellent evening and your great generosity - hopefully I can
join you again tomorrow.

You have a Daunting day ahead of you...

> On 9 Jan 2016, at 09:27, Mark Roberts <postmas...@robertstech.com> wrote:
>
> We had a fine meet-up with the ever-quotable Bob W. and Chris & Karin
> Mitchell last night. Started with some nice Belgian ale at a pub noted for
> its, well, nice Belgian ale, then went to dinner at a sort of hip, fusion
> restaurant.
>
> Earlier in the day, Lisa and I took in the Wildlife Photographer of the Year
> exhibit at the Natural History Museum. Some amazing photography on display
> there, as usual. One of the shots in the "Urban" category was of...
> cormorants! Shockingly, it wasn't taken with a Pentax. How inappropriate. In
> terms of equipment, I noted that two of the 100 photos in the exhibit were
> taken on medium format digital, one with a GoPro (in the "Time Lapse"
> category), one with a Panasonic compact (it was inserted into a carcass to
> take shots of vultures by remote control!) and all the rest were Canikon
> variations (about half a dozen APS-C and the rest - the vast majority of the
> exhibit - full-frame; interestingly, there didn't seem to be any mirrorless
> cameras represented). I was very curious about how the judging was done, how
> many judges there were and what criteria they used. With over 42,000 entries
> this year I expect there must have been some kind of initial filtering before
> the four main judges
 chose the 100 winners but no one could tell me the specifics. It also seemed
to me that the scientific significance of the images captured must have counted
in the judges' ranking as some category winners were clearly not the best from
an artistic standpoint, but again no one could clarify that for me. Still a
great exhibit.