A couple years ago, my first 16-45 took a tumble off a low table onto
a carpeted floor.  Something broke inside and the zoom and focus were
jammed and wouldn't turn all the way.  I bought another one
second-hand to replace it and stuck it on a shelf to collect dust.

I took it off the shelf yesterday out of boredom to see if I could
figure out how it works.  I managed to find the culprit, a piece of
the focusing helicoil snapped off when it fell and was jamming the
camways.

I just now managed to get it back together,but I managed to break it
in a different way.  I stretched the spring that closes the aperture,
so it doesn't return closed when tension is removed.  Should be a
simple repair if I decide to bother replacing the spring.

It has some funky behavior besides that, if I turn the focus ring to
infinity, it locks in place and won't move.  I have to tip the lens
downward for it to allow the focus ring to turn again.  Coinciding
with that, there is about an 1/8 inch of movement in the front element
assembly (which is what the focusing helicoil actually moves to focus
the lens).

It was finicky getting it back together since things have to line up
just so, and it takes some fiddling to get them aligned right.  One
thing to note, if you ever take one apart, there are shims in the back
that pop out if you don't realize they are there.  I'm sure they are
wrong now since I wasn't expecting to have them fall out.  The data
pins are wicked finicky to insert and align as well.  I picked
individual pins off the floor more than once.

I put it back together well enough that the camera recognized the lens
and it focuses (seems sharp enough in the viewfinder).

If you have a junk lens that you don't mind trashing, it's worth it
just to see how it works.  I've taken apart a 50mm prime and this lens
wasn't that much more complicated.

--
My Year38 365 project
http://year38.blogspot.com/