P.J. Alling wrote:
OK, so that's not really a question.

I've been contemplating getting one for my K-5II. Now I had an
opportunity to buy one from same source as the camera, at a very good
price I might add, but passed as I didn't see a pressing need. But as I
get older and less steady, I can't help to think that vertical shots
would be easier to hold steady with a vertical grip and shutter button,
not to mention the extra battery power and ability to use AA batteries
in a pinch.

The official Pentax grip, is still kind of expensive, so I've been
looking at third party grips. I know probably none of them are weather
sealed, but the prices of some a certainly attractive.

First question has anyone here used one?

Second question was it any good?

I had a third party grip for my K20, and it worked fine. Except that I never used it. They take up a lot of space in the bag, add a bunch of mechanical uncertainty to the tripod QR mount, and I've never really found that holding my hands at "12 and 6" was that much harder than holding them at "three and six".

I would definitely recommend borrowing a grip if you can before shelling out money on one.

This brings up a wishlist item on camera bodies and/or grips:
That they would just machine the arca-swiss mounting grooves into the baseplate and left side of the body, with a removeable plastic cover to round out the edges when you aren't using it.

--
Larry Colen  l...@red4est.com (postbox on min4est)