Mark Roberts wrote:
Larry Colen wrote:

On May 18, 2016 1:13:42 PM PDT, Mark Roberts<postmas...@robertstech.com>  wrote:
I know most recent Pentax cameras are ISO invariant and I expect the
K-1 is, also.
Does this mean that you don't get any advantage from shooting a higher iso
rather than under exposing at a lower ISO?

https://medium.com/@simonfuhrmann/iso-invariance-in-digital-cameras-a-case-study-7080791b5e78
http://improvephotography.com/34818/iso-invariance/
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7450523388/sony-alpha-7r-ii-real-world-iso-invariance-study

Very interesting. I'll have to study these in more depth when I'm not packing for a track day. Thanks.

I can think of one reason to not just shoot at base ISO. Lightroom only allows a few stops of exposure compensation, and it is very easy to exceed that range.

It does seem, however, that there is little downside to picking an exposure triangle in manual, that may be a stop or two under to preserve highlights, and effectively do your Tav adjustment in post. This will be very helpful when photographing at the dojo.

I have noticed that when I bracketed in Tav mode, by the time I finished adjustments the differences between the exposures were very subtle. Now I better understand why.

There is some fun physics to learn here in order to optimize sensor performance.