If this was a flash job you'd probably spot it by glints of certain portions of the branch underneath the bird.

But I don't agree with Paul either. I think this is done by selective dodging. The main reason I think so is that the contrast in the plumage looks unnaturally harsh, as it would be if pulled up, like, two or three stops.

Jostein