Thanks, Brian. I understand we will have to find a new name for our Acacias as a result of the on-going rationalisation of plant & animal names. Apparently Acacia was first used in Aus so we can't have it. Many of our bird species already have new names. I love to annoy the serious birders by using the old names! Yes, the wattles have taken over. They are becoming a problem in Kruger too as the seeds get carried down the rivers.

Alan C

-----Original Message----- From: Brian Walters
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2016 8:38 AM
To: pdml@pdml.net
Subject: Re: PESO: Knoppiesdoring

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016, at 04:42 AM, Alan C wrote:
A large Knoppiesdoring (Acacia nigrescens - our commonest Acacia)
flowering
profusely in a Phalaborwa garden. The English translation of the
Afrikaans
name (Knobthorn) is seldom used. The flowers can vary from almost white
gold. This year the Lowveld is clothed in yellow, about a month early,
probably as a result of the drought. Some years ago, a parachutist landed
in
one of these trees & had a hell of a job getting out!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wisselstroom/29643118156/

Taken just before sunset with the K7 & HD 55-300. Scroll R for a closer
view.

Very spectacular.  Lots of our acacias are in flower now, too.

We don't seem to cultivate Africa acacias here much (we have plenty of
our own :-) ), which is probably just as well - several prickly species
have become serious weeds.  Unfortunately I think we have returned the
'favour' with some Australian acacias infesting parts of South Africa.

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters
Western Sydney Australia