John wrote:
On 9/27/2016 10:05 PM, Larry Colen wrote:
I don't know how far news has spread, but there's a pretty big fire
going in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/09/26/loma-fire-map-santa-cruz-mountains/

http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incidents/incidentdetails/Index/1457

It's currently at 2200 acres and 10% containment. Someone got an
awesome photo of it from the Santa Cruz Pier last night, with the
boardwalk lit up in the foreground. Unfortunately, that wasn't me.

So, where is that in relation to you? Is it moving away from you or
towards you?

And what are the chances it's going to come to your house?

It is a long, long ways away, this a google map of Felton to the Fire:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Felton,+CA/37.10632,-121.85318/@37.0640219,-122.0996765,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m8!4m7!1m5!1m1!1s0x808e3ef78ff33bcf:0x2209215e66ebe42c!2m2!1d-122.0732973!2d37.0513374!1m0

If you look on google earth you can see that there are a couple of mountain ridges, a fairly large town, a four lane highway and several excavations (pit mines for sand) between my house and the fire.

If all efforts to fight the fire were to stop (all humans vanished from the face of the earth), it might, possibly, reach my house. So, it's not impossible.

My note was meant as reassurance.

By straight line, it's actually closer to both John and Nicole than it is to me. But I live in what's considered the Santa Cruz Mountains, so it is likely to be described in a manner to make it sound close to my house.

I do have several friends who live in the evacuation zone, as of last night it was about a mile from my friend JB's house.

It is also just a few miles from the epicenter of the '89 Loma Prieta quake, and a lot of that area was burned out in a big fire in 1985.