It is not just the cell phone service. It applies to any service that assumes multiple resource consumers accessing the same resource, but not all at once. Most of those are NOT designed for the capacity that would provide ALL end users simultaneously. That would be too expensive and wasteful. There is always a "designed" capacity that could be based on the historic data, assumptions, models, etc. That applies to: landline phones, ISPs, water, electricity, drainage, sewage, fire/police department, roadway and public transport capacity ... That's why you occasionally have electric power blackouts, internet hiccups/slowdowns in the evenings, flash floods, traffic congestions, fully packed buses and subway trains, etc.

The cell phone systems have an additional limitation from the frequency spectrum allotted by the govermental agencies (FCC in the US). You have to allow a certain frequency range for each channel (conversation) to avoid interference between adjacent channels. And the minimum width of that is significantly affected by the capabilities of the (notch) filters in the cell tower switches.

So, increasing the capacity for simultaneous cell phone connections requires increased density of cell towers, with all obvious conseqencies and costs.

An aside: superconductor-based filters in provide much higher density of channels available for a given frequency range, and that's one of the motivations for searching for superconductors that can work at higher (ideally room) temperature. You might not know, but cell towers with superconducting electronics have been deployed since late 90s. BTW, the limited capacity of the electric cables is the limiting factor for the electric power available for large metropolitan centers (such as NYC). And that also motivates the same research of superconductors.

Igor