Nice, movie-escue image. E.g. it looks like a frame from a movie.

While reading you message, I was rather confused what was the problem:
why the fact that the day was great should have stopped her from heading out with her board... But on the photo, it looks like it may have been not much sunny (was it?)..

Also, just my curiousity: You mentioned Encino. But AFAIK, Encino is not on the shore. Rather Santa Monica would be between Encino and the water. Or, was it Encinitas (much more south, closer to San Diego), - which is right on the shore?