ann sanfedele wrote:
You clearly can have a career in event photography, Larry - you have the
lighting and timing nailed at this point...

Thanks Ann. If only dance events actually had the money to pay. It's nice that they are now contacting me ahead of time and offering me discounts off my registration, at least from the "it's nice to be appreciated" point of view.

Apart from the musicians and the instructors, these events tend to be all volunteer with even the local dancers providing housing for people from out of town. I mostly do the photography as a way of giving back to the community.

I can't claim much credit on the lighting, that is what was there. The LED lights were nice in some ways, but they really have their own sets of challenges. It helps that the room was reasonably bright anyways.

To me it would be as much torture as shooting a wedding.

There's a big difference, I'd go to this event if I wasn't photographing it. I'll admit that I didn't get as many photos on Sunday night because the band was so good I didn't want to spend as much time shooting rather than dancing.