> On Nov 27, 2016, at 8:56 AM, Steve Cottrell <co...@seeingeye.tv> wrote:
>
> On 27/11/16, Zos Xavius, discombobulated, unleashed:
>
>> $2 a minute seems pretty reasonable really. I love the 8mm to 5d
>> capture idea though. That makes me want to go make one and offer
>> capture services myself lol.
>
> Far fewer old 8mm movies around that someone might need transferring -
> perhaps more of a business opportunity would be offering a service to
> transfer old VHS home movies to digital files. All you need is a HVS
> player and an analogue-to-digital converter and some decent editing
> software and you're away!

I have an Elgato Video Capture USB device for Mac, $80 at Amazon.com, that
takes a 2-channel audio/composite video input source and renders it to an MPEG4
or iMovie file. It's perfectly fine for VHS or LaserDisc quality video, which
is only rarely as good as 480p. I've captured all of my old VHS tapes and a few
LaserDisc recordings with it, and the quality is quite viewable on an iPad,
even satisfactory on my television. Comes with its own capture software which
makes it a breeze to use.

I seem to recall a couple of very inexpensive devices designed to allow video
recording of film movies. They basically incorporate a rotating shutter which
you synch up with the film to eliminate the strobing and black out effects. But
obviously you can do without it if a little strobing doesn't bother you:
  https://youtu.be/QHbZEoiISQQ
Do not imagine you'll get incredibly high quality doing this, but it does work.

If you want to capture a few select frames at K1 resolution, you'll need a very
high magnification macro setup. Minox 8x11 mm format film requires about 2.8:1
magnification to capture, the result being about 21 Mpixel of a 24 Mpixel FF
camera. Regular 8 is about 1/5 the area of Minox format, so you'll need about
9:1 magnification at least to get close to filling the capture frame. (It's
better to use a smaller format digital like FourThirds since only 2:1 there
nets something much closer to 8mm movie format.) Again, don't expect
super-high-quality results.