I would suggest avoiding Seagate as they currently have the highest
failure rates. Hitachi is actually the most reliable by far with 2%
failure rates. Western Digital comes in a distant second. I use
Western Digital drives mostly and they have been reliable. So has my
hitachi drives. I have an old Lacie 2 drive raid array with hitachi
drives that is still churning along just fine and filling in as part
of a bigger soft raid array. I did have to replace the power supply
because their power supplies are garbage and fail, but that happens.
How much storage would all of your files take up currently? For the
cost I would suggest 4tb externals over 2tb because they aren't really
that much more for 2x the storage. I currently have my whole catalog
stored on a Western Digital Elements 2-drive raid array. It wasn't
exactly cheap, but I did get a decent deal on ebay going with one with
two refurbished drives. I think they are $350 or so new. They use USB3
and actually have three USB3 ports on the back which is super nice for
plugging more externals in. Whatever you get, do yourself a huge favor
and at least get an external 4tb drive as a backup. I have a regular
4tb Western Digital Elements drive and for a brief time I used that to
store my catalog and it was reliable. I think I paid $125 or so for
it. Two of those would likely serve you well and be large enough to
cover your data needs for some time. Just a suggestion really.