Eric - I may or may not chose the same few photos that Cotty did , but the less is more rule is important... something I manage to accomplish with photos but have difficulty in doing the same with writing :-)

Always fine to crop for the reasons others have pointed out, in my book - if for no other reason than one simply cannot always get into a position where what one has in one's mind as a composition isn't possible and one doesnt' always have the luxury of time to think about best framing - better grab the
scene and perfect it later..

Awfully glad to see you did the march - many of my friends did here - and thrity years ago I would have gone, but at 80 just being in that crowd the posibilities for bodily harm and the scarcity of bathroom facilites or catching someones cold - not to mention the noise - just can't do that anymore.

I like this one best I think
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eeweir/31626494234/in/album-72157679473953255/lightbox/

ann