I think young Bozza is right here, echoing Capa - "if your pictures aren't good
enough, you aren't close enough".

It's you who decides whether or not your pictures are good enough, and your
question suggests that perhaps you do think that.

Cartier-Bresson was famous for (almost) never cropping, and the reason for this
was that he had a very highly developed eye for composition, and that he shot
that composition within the framelines of his camera, so any cropping would
ruin the composition.

This was a discipline he chose for himself, along with the less strict rules of
only shooting black & white, and only using a 50mm lens. By doing this he
consciously restricted the type of photographs he would take, and reduced the
variables, thus simplifying and maintaining control.

The result was a genius. This approach has been used numerous times in the past
in different arts. Consider for example the theatre of Corneille, which obeyed
the classical unities, was written in Alexandrine couplets, and dealt with
classical heroic themes. Less is more.

If you do feel that your pictures are not good enough, I would recommend
studying composition,  doing exercises the way people do scales for the piano,
and reducing the number of variables you have to deal with, so that you can
really focus at the time of shooting on what interests you in the image, and
use the principles of composition within the frame to bring that to the fore.

The way learn composition is to learn about proportion and grids, and to learn
to recognise it when you see it, so you can photograph it. Then you won't need
to crop much.

Two Magnum photographers I really like, who shoot fantastically good, complex
compositions, are Harry Gruyaert and Alex Webb. There used to be a whole load
of stuff showing grids overlaid on their work, discussing the composition, but
it all seems to go to something called pinterest now, usual bullshit of closing
the web. But google their names with 'composition grid' and you might find
something helpful.

I try not to crop very drastically, mainly to straighten horizons or verticals
when I use the full frame, or to use either square or double-square (tatami
mat) when I see something that suits those formats. I used to shoot slides a
lot, and didn't have the luxury of cropping. Again, limiting the variables.

This guy has some interesting ideas on his blog:
http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2016/01/27/100-lessons-from-the-masters-of-street-photography/

On 24 Jan 2017, at 14:27, Boris Liberman