Igor, I'm pretty much in the same boat - I almost exclusively shot shot slides for enjoyment (and print film for work) and didn't have the luxury of cropping except when making prints.

I totally agree with your comment - "trying to make the final framing while you are shooting
encourages a more careful approach for each shot. It develops and improves one's skill of creative viewing"

That's not to say don't crop. Cropping has improved alot of my images.

As has been stated in this thread - its the image you show that matters - cropped or not.

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Igor PDML-StR" <pdml...@komkon.org>
Subject: Re: Cropping

Having started photographing with a camera with a single fixed and non-changable lens, I was forced to crop during printing (which I was doing myself). Then, when switched to slides (and a DSLR, albeit only with one "normal" prime), I've learned to frame for the ultimate presentation. Using commercial mini-labs for printing photos (when those became accessible for me), reinforced that habit.

The era of digital photography (and the advances of digital printing) has relaxed that requirement for me from two points of view:
1. I can do my own cropping on the computer, and
2. I can print color photos myself easily.

Now, I am forcing myself to frame a bit more loose. This is for the reasons that Larry (and a few others) have explained: to make sure some body parts are not cut off, and I have the room for horizon adjustment or perspective correction).
It doesn't happen always: old habits are hard to break.

There is one more good reason for unavoidable cropping: when I am printing photos, the formats I use the most are 5x7, 8.5x11 (Letter), sometimes 4x6 and 8x10. All those have a different aspect ratio. So, cropping from the 2x3 ratio sensor of Pentax DSLRs is unavoidable.

When photographing an event where I am expecting to post large quantity of photos (e.g. kids events), I still try to frame to the ultimate presentation, -- to minimize the work I need to do on the large volume of photos.

But even when I do that, I frequently adjust the crop here and there, and I also frequently crop to change the aspect ratio (e.g. to get 1:1).

Now, there is a merit behind the advice of people who categorically swear against cropping: . trying to make the final framing while you are shooting encourages a more careful approach for each shot. It develops and improves one's skill of creative viewing

So, the bottom line:
You should not listen to people who tell you should not do something "just because". Always evaluate the merits.

Eric, in regards to cropping:
 1. Try your best while framing to avoid cropping in post.

2. In post-production, - crop whatever is necessary. Pay attention to how you are cropping (and more importantly why), - and use that as a feedback for #1.

HTH,

Igor