On 1/26/2017 10:24 AM, Gonz wrote:
A friend asked me this and I didn't have an answer, perhaps someone on
the list has heard of this before?

"I was wondering if you know anything about document cameras (i.e.
rigs to photograph a large number of pages as an alternative to
scanning). The idea is to use such a thing to convert many pages of
music charts into electronic form. Any suggestions? Thanks."

Sounds like what your friend is looking for is a copy stand set up to
photograph loose sheets. This might do.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Copy-Stand-Cheap-and-easy-to-build/

If necessary to photograph larger manuscripts, the design could be
easily made larger.

What happens next depends on whether your friend just needs images of
the pages or needs to extract the musical notation from the images.

Converting words or musical notation in the images is going to require
some kind of OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software. Most flatbed
scanners I know of come with an OCR application. I don't know if any of
them can interpret music notation.

BUT (and by now you should know there's always going to be a "but") ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_OCR

AND

https://archivesoutside.records.nsw.gov.au/digitising-your-collection-part-4-scanning-and-handling-tips/

https://mpetroff.net/2013/09/scanner-modifications-to-scan-large-documents/

https://www.digitalnc.org/about/what-we-use-to-digitize-materials/

You might also do a Google search for "rare document digitization
equipment".

Now you know as much about it as I do.