Well the current metaphor in lenses is you must aim for ultimate sharpness. If you look at all the new normal lenses from Sony, Canon, Nikon, Zeiss, Sigma, even Samyang. Their new fast 50mm f1.4 lenses are much larger than older designs. Because it takes a lot more correction to make them that sharp from wide open. It's not just Sony and Zeiss doing it.

Ricoh is just following that lead. It's not like Pentax didn't understand this in the past, they just made a classic normal lens design, which allowed both high speed, and compact design, now that's not good enough. Personally I think they should keep the old FA design for those who like a more compact lens and understand that having a softer look is desirable for portraits but I doubt they have the manufacturing capacity to have two different 50mm designs for the same format in production at the same time.