> On Mar 3, 2017, at 5:00 PM, Brian Walters <supera1...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> Thanks for starting this thread, Luiz.
>
> When the idea of a 20th Anniversary PUG was first raised, several
> suggestions on possible themes were raised.  Looking back at those
> posts, these seemed to be the ones most preferred (not in any particular
> order):
>
> !. All time favorite photograph rather than one's best.
>
> 2. The first photo that the photographer remembers being proud of.
>
> 3. The image that the photographer feels is the very, very best of their
> work.
>
> 4. A favorite from prior PUG submissions.
>
> 5. An open gallery (if options 1 to 4 don't suit).
>
> Obviously, we wouldn't want to be too prescriptive in the theme - the
> aim of this gallery is to maximize participation so, I'd suggest
> allowing submitters to choose which of those 'themes' he/she would like
> to adopt - and then optionally writing a few words about their choice in
> the comments section of the submission form.
>
> But, of course, I just compile the submissions (it's not my gallery) so
> what do you all feel is the way to go?
>

> Cheers
>
> Brian
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Brian Walters
> Western Sydney Australia
> http://lyons-ryan.org/southernlight/

One of the positive aspects of the PUG for me over the years is that neither
the PUGmeisters nor others in PDML have worried too much about strict
interpretation of the monthly themes. Sometimes I have wished for a bit more
specificity, but it is good to be able to go off in my own direction without
too much worry about THE theme.

This might be a case where I wouldn’t mind more specificity, but the theme did
get me thinking. I have 3-4 ideas, two of which I may yet pursue.

When this theme was suggested last year, my first reaction was to think about
finding either my first or my favorite post to the PUG. Or maybe a photo from
one of those themes which made me push my limits a bit  (like the equinox theme
where THE hour was well after dark and I didn’t do after dark shots…)

But then I thought about 20 years of PDML, most of which I have been here for.
I have learned a lot, I have been inspired and often humbled by the quality of
others’ work and the depth of their artistry. But then that is not all of it,
not even the most important for me. Beginning in the early 2000’s and a
photoday in Toronto facilitated by Frank and followed by equally memorable
gatherings with individuals and groups in Sydney and London and Naples and
Grandfather Mountain and Venice and Brighton and Chicago and Oslo and Jerusalem
and Aland and Milwaukee and… I have come to know many fine people. So one
thought I had was to do a photo collage of the pictures I have of those
gatherings. Idea rejected for several reasons including that I doubt if I can
find decent shots of everyone, and I don’t know how to make such a collage. And
besides, there have been as many virtual meetings as there have been actual
physical ones, so the face-to-face and corresponding photo to document it
doesn’t really capture the essence of PDML’s 20 years for me.

Another idea is to do a representative shot of some one or two PDMLers. I have
a couple in mind.

As you can see part of my dilemma is that I want my image to fit with the PUG
anniversary theme, but I would also like it to somehow capture the broader
essence of PDML.  Or maybe I will just submit one of my favorite photos taken
sometime in the last 20 years.  Que sera sera.

stan