Just because the K-1 has a GPS doesn't mean it knows about DST. For
that you need an extra file of info listing for every country in the
world the dates that DST in that country begins and ends. My Garmin
gps for example has such a list (and that list gets regular updates)
and the firmware to make use of such a list. I doubt Pentax implements
such a scheme or distributes such a list. Understanding timezones is
bad enough [1], understanding the continually changing DST laws is
harder. That's why there's the DST checkbox in the menu system.

[1] http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/1799

--
Eric