Pentax has enough history that someone will at least want the name. I
don't think Ricoh will give up Pentax just yet. They only paid $125
million for the company. That was pocket change to them really. The
theta sells like wildfire currently and they seem intent on investing
in that further. There are some massive changes going on and I would
imagine that the imaging division will see cuts along the way.
Currently they laying off employees en masse and consolidating
departments. For instance they let go most of the Pentax United States
team and they now share offices with the copier division. Things are
looking kind of grim in some ways actually. The professional services
program is effectively cancelled now. That includes pro services for
the 645Z. All while Fuji is currently rolling out their own pro
services along with their own shiny new medium format camera. I think
Pentax can hold an edge as a niche player for now, but is that worth
investing in for Ricoh? Fuji has stated that they will produce film
and camera equipment no matter how small the market gets. Even if it
costs them money they will continue because they feel that their
legacy is worth preserving. I don't know if Ricoh has that kind of
fortitude. Another thing is that Ricoh has a new president as of April
1st and supposedly he is looking to make massive cuts which is likely
where this rumor and story started.

The best I can say is buckle up. If you want to read the tea leaves
the next six months are going to be a critical time to watch. You
aren't going to hear much of anything one way or another, but their
actions and further developments will tell the story.

Also I really doubt Sigma would buy Pentax. They don't have to really.
They are selling more lenses in canon mount than canon themselves.
They have gone mirrorless now and I really doubt they are interested
in going back to OVF cameras because of the complexities involved.
Pentax has the SLR down to an artform so hopefully someone will
recognize that. I think there is and always will be a market for SLRs.
If they go the way of the TLR and rangefinder I will be sad, but I
guess that's just the way things go.