The chemistry of old single-use batteries and modern rechargeable batteries
is very different. You could, if you wanted to, cut an old battery in half
without much happening.  That's not true of something like a lithium ion
cell (as can easily be seen on youtube), so those tend to be enclosed in
a reasonably strong airtight and watertight casing.  Old cells were not,
so if the battery began to degrade you could end up with some fairly nasty
chemicals forcing their way out of the battery and ending up all over the
inside of whatever you were using the battery in.