I've reconsidered my suggestion that Sony would be the best owner of
the Pentax brand. I doubt that they would preserve the name/brand, but
merely absorb it.
In fact, brands are absorbed and disappear all of the time. It
happened to venerable brands like Contax, Konica, Minolta and even
YUUGE brands like Kodak.
It would be sad, but the world would keep turning.

My K-3II is still going to be a great machine and the K-1 is still
going to be a killer full frame camera. One just wonders how long
their actual lifespans will be, or how long their practical lifespans
will be (when we merely sniff derisively at at quaint 24-36 MP image
files).

--
“The Earth is Art, The Photographer is only a Witness ”
― Yann Arthus-Bertrand, Earth from Above