E = mc^2  probably comes into it somewhere...

Oh geez,  I hope not, or else Ann is atomic powered.

On 6/24/2017 1:31 PM, Bob W-PDML wrote:
The mass of the pack doesn't change, but as you step up you are having to lift
with each leg in turn your own mass plus the mass of the pack, which you are
not having to do, to the same extent, when you walk on level ground, so you are
using more energy.

To convert it to additional weight I suppose you have to work out how much
extra weight would require the same energy over the same distance on level
ground.

E = mc^2 probably comes into it somewhere...

Whether it stresses the body in the same way would be something else though,
because the biomechanics of carrying it upstairs are different to those of
carrying it on level ground.

My answer would be to order a Sherpa...