I am not sure I understand. A little more information please…
How do you have your cards set up? I.e., are you recording to both cards at
once? Or do you have slot 1 as the default, then rolling over to slot 2 when
the first card is full? Or do you switch back and forth between the two cards
during the day depending on subject matter or whatever?
Are both cards the same size?

Also note that usually Lightroom and other such programs are set to only import
New images. Were both cards Formatted in camera before your recent session? If
not then maybe you have many more images on one or both cards; you camera sees
them but your LR won’t pay attention to them… That would definitely confuse the
count.

I have always set the two slots with DNG capture on slot 1, simultaneous jpeg
capture on slot 2 and so have never had exactly your situation.

stan