Assuming the Voltage regulator's failure mode is automatic cutoff, it should work fine. If it's failure mode is surge, there might be problems.

I've looked at the HQRP a couple of times but always held back on a purchase, because, while, the Pentax OEM is definitely over priced, the price for the HQRP seems to be too good to be true.