On 10/29/2017 10:28, Eric Weir wrote:

On Oct 28, 2017, at 9:56 PM, John <sesso...@earthlink.net> wrote:

On 10/28/2017 19:18, Eric Weir wrote:
On Oct 28, 2017, at 6:56 PM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

So far I’ve been working with “Color Control” with “Continuous auto exposure”
and “Display Gamma 2.2” turned on.

These photos were shot by my brother, probably somewhere in the mid-70s. The
film is Kodak Safety Film 5062. Never hear of it. Have no idea what the ISO is.
Scanned 11 photos. Did some adjustments with the histogram. Imported em into
Lightroom. There are a couple I really like composition-wise. But they're very
grainy. An artifact of the film? Or maybe of my scanning technique?"

Sounds like underexposed negatives.

The two images I shared were from the same roll of film. After a preview scan I
could see the image in the portrait shot. In the landscape image all I could
see were two horizontal spaces, one black, one white. Only after playing with
the histogram could I see that it was a landscape and what it was a shot of.

The portrait was scanned at 600 psi. The landscape at 3200 psi. I believe the
settings were otherwise the same for both images. Graininess begins to show up
in the portrait after it is enlarged significantly. It shows up much more
quickly in the landscape.

Why? Is there any hope of getting a scan of the landscape that would not be so
grainy?

You might try photo stacking. Make multiple scans of the same image, stack them
in layers and use blend modes to create a denser image.

https://petapixel.com/2013/05/29/a-look-at-reducing-noise-in-photographs-using-median-blending/