WCBS just reported that sending the message required a mouse click to invoke the procedure and a second confirmation mouse click.  So the the employee did get the "are you sure you want to this" and said, of course I do, and the rest is history.

I wasn't implying the US military was involved in any way, just State of Hawaii functionaries who made this error.  At a time when a great many people are on edge about some sort of missile attack, possibly for good reason, it's easy to create a panic, looks like at least a minor one was created.

Also just having a simple confirmation click, to send an alert message, seems like to little.  If I were specifying the software, there'd be a requirement to enter your system user name and password, partly to insure that the person had authorization to be sending the message and partly to trace who sent a bogus message in that event.  People think more clearly when they're required to identify themselves on the record before making a stupid mistake.