The DA 40mm lenses are supposed to be exactly the same optical formula as the old M 40mm f2.8, with more modern coatings.  I can't say whether that's true or not, I have an old M version and didn't see any particular reason to duplicate it with an AF version.  On the other had the 40mm seems to be somewhat soft on the edges and corners wide open on film, so you might see the same thing using a modern version on a FF camera.