This news popped up on a few science websites yesterday (I suspect due to Rutgers' PR department's efforts), - and I just saw it on CBS morning news review this morning.

https://phys.org/news/2018-03-distortive-effects-short-distance-nasal.html

While what they discussed is fine, they should've worked with a photographer and a zoom lens instead of (or in addition to the
simulations).

I believe this is well known in the photo community. (Isn't it?)
And that's why "portrait lenses" are used for ghm... portraits (what a coincidence!) -- because of the most flattering angle of view/facial features proportions.
But I am preaching to the choir here... ;-)

Cheers,

Igor