Eric,

“Alice: Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?
The Cheshire Cat: That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.
Alice: I don't much care where.
The Cheshire Cat: Then it doesn't much matter which way you go.
Alice: ...So long as I get somewhere.
The Cheshire Cat: Oh, you're sure to do that, if only you walk long enough.”

― Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass

You described the boy, but it is important to know what (and why) he is interested w.r.t. photography. Has he expressed his interest toward photography? Or he just wants to have a camera to take cool selfies? Has he taken any photos (e.g. with a phone or tablet)? Have you seen those? They might tell you some information...

The intent and desire to guide him by his parents/grandparents is also an important factor. (I am sure you can, but I don't know how close you are to your grand-nephew.)

As other people suggested, you probably want to challenge him and his curiosity. But you don't want to give him something from which he'd turn away immediately because it is not providing what he expects and wants.

If he is geeky and likes figuring out how things work, you may want to lean toward more manual-capable camera. If he doesn't care about that much, maybe you want to have a camera with automatic capabilities but to give options of manual settings.

And, you want the camera to be cool and produce cool results that he can brag about to his peers. I don't know what it would be for him. Maybe instant print as suggested by Godfrey would create that "coolness" factor (different from the mainstream, while providing immediate gratification).

I wouldn't jump into DSLR's. Whether to get a system with interchangeable lenses (e.g. micro-2/3) or not, - that would depend on the inclinations of the kiddo. If yes, meaning that the kid is expected to be very interested (and I'd talk to him; at 12, he is grown up enough for that) and have sufficient guidance, - I'd consider starting with a reasonable "normal" prime lens, adding a moderate zoom next, or the other way around.
Otherwise, starting with a P&S with plenty of manual controls might be
sufficient to see if the interest lasts.

HTH,

Igor