If that dosn't work, you may need to dig deeper.

https://petapixel.com/2013/04/22/disassembling-a-tripod-ball-head-to-see-how-it-works/

Sometimes, a piece of grit may become trapped between the ball and clamping
piece of plastic, distorting the plastic.  The resulting "pip" will always
cause drag.  Judicious scraping with an extremely sharp implement (I've used a
suitably shaped piece of broken glass) will relieve the lump.  A light dusting
with PTFE spray can work as a substitute for scraping if there are multiple
instances of the issue.  Buying a new pad would be the ideal answer.  Good luck
with that.