Jack, I know you've decided to replace the body, but I did find a link to a Ricoh Pentax repair page.  It's possible that the person you spoke with didn't actually know that Precision does actually repair Pentax cameras as they don't offer phone support for Pentax, only Nikon and Olympus.  Sony and Pentax seem to be web only options, anyway here's the page in case anyone needs it.

http://www.precisioncamera.com/ricoh/

By the way this link didn't work for the last couple of days.