Paul, I looked at some images of both. The Pine Siskin has a yellow primary in the wing (like the one in your shot) whereas the Vesper Sparrow does not. Otherwise there is lot of variability in the markings. Shows just how difficult SBJ's can be.

Alan C

-----Original Message----- From: Paul Stenquist
Sent: 13 April, 2018 4:51 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: PESO Not a sparrow

I’m quite sure Mathew Hunt was right when he said my Vesper Sparrow Is a Pine Siskin. The banding on the breast is too heavy for a sparrow, and the fact that this bird was hanging out with goldfinches supports his contention that it’s a Pine Siskin. Always great to get bird input here. Someone always gets it right.

https://www.photo.net/photo/18467672/Vesper-Sparrow

---