which camera do you use and what are your typical ISO, exposure time, fstop settings?
why not use a wider lens or is lens speed critical?
jco

On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 16:12:24 -0400, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:

Some attempts at astro landscapes.

I don't quite have it wired yet, but I'm learning things to try for next time. These were done with the rokinon 24/1.4 from the town of Mount Shasta. A couple of these might print up well.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157697414506681

24mm isn't wide enough to get the full arc of the Milkyway, even positioned vertically.

These were done with the DFA 15-30 using astrotracer from outside of Weed, just off of I-5. I was hoping the smoke from the fires would be beneficial for foreground effects, it may have caused more problems, possibly even the rainbow effect, I'm not sure.

This set doesn't show the ones I tried with the 24/1.4 or the non astrotracer with the 15-30. I don't think I really got any keepers out of this set, but I learned a bit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157698646538354

I should go back at about a half moon so that I can get shots both with no moonlight and also with Shasta lit after the moon rises.
I need to do more overlap on the frames, particularly with the 15-30
The astrotracer really helps with the sky, and with the dark foreground doesn't make a lot of difference there.
I should definitely bracket the photos.
I wish there were stacking software that could separate the sky from the foreground and stack them each appropriately. Also software that could stitch an astrotracer sky with a non astrotracer foreground, while stacking them for HDR and panorama. I also wish the software would use the gps, accelerometer and compass data to make the stitching go faster.

--
J.C. O'Connell
hifis...@gate.net