Computer trouble is what keeps old Murphy alive and kicking, I guess.

Jostein

Den 09.10.2018 21:06, skrev P. J. Alling:
Well it's happened again.  I've had a hard drive failure.  I've managed to recover most of the important files from between backups, from the almost dead drive, and replaced it with two refurbished 2TB Hitachi Server quality drives.   I'm running them in mirrored mode so I have data redundancy.  I really have to do that with the boot drive, but for now cloned backups will have to do.

Now the rant.  I had three 1tb drives in my machine, and one had a smart failure.  I tested it using the long platter test which should IIRC test the entire disk surface, and it passes after chugging through it for what seems days, (it's actually hours, but hey).  I don't keep anything important on after all it's S.M.A.R.T. flags have been tripped and it could fail at any time, except it's been like this for at least three years.  It'll fail eventually but...

IT WASN'T THE DRIVE THAT FAILED!

Nope, it was a much newer drive, that never had a problem and never gave any warning, until it did.

The mother board keeps carping at me that the drive with the S.M.A.R.T. flag tripped is going to fail any day now, every time I boot the computer,  and it will, someday, but it was actually useless in warning me about the impending failure of the other. Sheesh.

Worse there is no way to tell the hardware to ignore the issue. Somewhere in the middle of post up the firmware finds the smart flags and stops and asks if I want to continue.

I just use that drive as a scratch drive and to hold temporary objects that will be deleted anyway.

Then to add insult to injury, in my first attempt at mirroring the Hitachi drives one of them failed.  Yes, the the vendor replaced the drive promptly, but once again there is no S.M.A.R.T. error.  In fact the bad drive passes all S.M.A.R.T. tests using the latest software from the manufacturer.  It only fails when you try to write to it for extended periods of time.

In fact I could still plug it into the MB run the smart tests, format it, and then have it fail at some random time.  But it still tests as good in every way except what counts, storing data.

Now I can only ask, what the hell good is S.M.A.R.T. except to annoy me, I'm sure it makes someone happy that it does that.

End of Rant.