It's unfortunatly not a configuration issue.  I ended up creating a second gmail account and building a couple of filters in Thunderbird to get my posts to the pdml into my normal inbox. Google keeps your replies somewhere, and they are in your inbox, on the server, they just filter what you get in your remote client, and don't show them.  It's kind of awful really.